Legal Issues/Elder Law (MI) « Michigan Matters
Michigan Statutes (Michigan Legislature)
Administrative Law Judges' Decisions:
Legal Issues and Cases (Michigan)
- Estates and Protected Individuals Code (EPIC) Questions and Answers (Calhoun County Courts)
These answers are made possible by a cooperative effort of the Probate and Estate Planning section of the State Bar of Michigan, probate judges, attorneys and probate registers. Selected questions from individuals concerning probate procedure under Michigan's new Estate and Protected Individuals Code will be posted here.
- Detroit Center for Family Advocacy
Opened for business in July with a staff of three lawyers, a social worker, a parent advocate and an office manager/legal assistant. The central premise is that legal services to family members could divert children who might otherwise have to enter foster care or hasten the exit of other children from foster care to permanency.
- In re: Howard J. Stoddard Trust (State of Michigan Court of Appeals – Dec. 4, 2007)
Opinion re: probate court's order dividing the trust into three separate trusts to end lengthy litigation.
- Legal Representation for Parents in Child Welfare Proceedings (ABA)
The Michigan State Court Administrative Office, Child Welfare Services Division, through the Court Improvement Program, has been working on improving the quality of legal representation in Michigan. As part of this project, we contracted with the ABA, Center on Children and the Law to conduct an independent study of legal representation for parents in Michigan and to make recommendations for improvement.
- Michigan Poverty Law Program – Issue Alert (re: all programs administered by the Department of Human Services)
The Department of Human Services (DHS) has issued a comprehensive policy on reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to benefits and services for persons with disabilities. Link to DHS Administrative Handbook.
- Michigan's Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) (Office of Attorney General – July 2007)
The FOIA regulates and sets requirements for the disclosure of public records by all public bodies in the state. This is a summary of the basic provisions of the Act, including the actual text of the statute.
- Oakland County Probate Court
- Task Force on Guardianships and Conservatorships – Michigan Supreme Court (9-10-98)
Final Report from the Michigan Supreme Court.
- Staying Legal – for Michigan Nonprofits (Michigan Nonprofit Assn.)
A website to help new and already-established charitable organizations comply with federal and state laws and regulations.
Elder Law (Michigan)
- Elder Law of Michigan, Inc.
Promotes and protects the rights, health and economic well-being of people as they age or are disabled by providing information, advocacy, legal advice and professional services.
- Free Legal Services for Seniors (Greater Lansing Business Monthly)
Elder Law of Michigan, Inc. (ELM) is a charitable organization that provides free legal advice over the phone, benefit and pension assistance, and now housing counseling to those 60 or older in Michigan. “As people are thinking about changing housing, we have housing counselors, certified through Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and Michigan State Housing and Development Authority (MSHDA), who can be a tremendous value to them,” says Kate White, ELM executive director. “Elder Law is one of the organizations in the area that has free housing assistance.” Such assistance includes helping seniors transition into different housing, such as assisted living or condominiums, providing information on in-home services, or even setting up contractual relationships when relatives move in together.
- Michigan Probate Litigation and Will Contests (Barron, Rosenberg, Mayoras & Mayoras, PC)
A Michigan law firm who has represented individuals, fiduciaries and businesses in probate litigation since 1970.
- Red Tape Blog – Michigan State University Libraries
Good info on elder law issues.