Estate Planning/Financial/Insurance « Michigan Matters
Information on Michigan Estate Planning,
Financial Matters and Insurance
Michigan Probate Code (Michigan Legislature)
- Probate Code – Act 288 of 1939. An Act to revise and consolidate the statutes relating to certain aspects of the family division of circuit court…to prescribe the manner and time within which certain actions and proceedings may be brought in the family division of the circuit court; to prescribe pleading, evidence, practice, and procedure in certain actions and proceedings in the family division of circuit court…and to provide remedies and penalties.
Estate Planning Matters – Michigan
- Duties and Responsibilities of the Trustee of a Special Needs Trust (Patricia E. Kefalas Dudek)
A memorandum that outlines the various duties and responsibilities of a Trustee under current Michigan law.
- Family Foundations – Know When to Close (Crain's Detroit Business – 10/25/09)
More family foundations should plan in advance to shut their doors. This has nothing to do with their performance or the current economy and everything to do with their long-term success.
- Have You Had The Talk?
Not the one about drugs, or about sex. This campaign from Hospice of Michigan urges all adults to consider what kind of care and plans they want followed if they ever need to rely on someone else for their medical care and decision making. The best time to plan and prepare is when there is no emergency, no crisis, no scrambling. The Talk is a gift to anyone who needs to know what you want when you can no longer speak for yourself.
- Michigan Adopts "Probate Only" Estate Recovery Law (Chalgian & Tripp Elder Law Alert – Oct. 2007)
Info on the "estate recovery" law adopted by the State of Michigan.
- New to Estate Recovery, Michigan Attorneys Seek Aid (Elder Law Answers – Oct. 15, 2007)
On September 28th, 2007, Michigan became the last state in the nation to pass an estate recovery program required by federal law. Federal Medicaid officials had threatened to cut off $5 billion in annual Medicaid payments if the state was not in compliance by September 30.
- Swatting Gnats, Ignoring Elephants (Michigan Probate & Estate Planning)
Re: fiduciary infidelity in Power of Attorney situations.
Financial Matters – Michigan
- Automation Alley
Creates a variety of opportunities to help our members succeed. With an extensive offering of programs and benefits, Automation Alley is transforming our region into one that is ripe with potential for entrepreneurs, small business owners and Fortune 500 companies.
- Claiming the Tax Credits You Deserve (PHI – Michigan)
Tax credit is a term that we all hear, but do you know what it means? There are two types of tax credits – refundable and non-refundable. A refundable tax credit is a credit that will either give you money back in the form of a refund or reduce the amount you have to pay in taxes. A non-refundable tax credit can reduce the amount of tax that you owe, but does not result in a tax refund. Of the many tax credits that are available, PHI wants you to remember the following tax credits for working families as you go to complete your taxes this year.
- Foreign Currency Exchange Services (Birmingham, MI)
If you are traveling internationally and need money for your vacation or business trip, we have three great options for your convenience.
- Michigan Combined Application Project (MiCAP)
As many as 80,000 Michigan senior citizens and adults with disabilities could automatically get help with their bood budgets this year (2009) under a new federal pilot program.
- Michigan Department of Treasury – Unclaimed Property Division
A resource to check into unclaimed property in Michigan.
- Stefek's Auctioneers & Appraisers (Grosse Pointe Farms, MI)
Liquidation of personal property in Michigan through estate sales and brokering through private sales.
Insurance Matters – Michigan:
- Deny, Defend and Delay (May 2007)
My letter to the editor of the Michigan Bar Journal regarding mandatory insurance without regulation to the cost of rates.