Education Issues (MI) « Michigan Matters
Articles & Publications About Education Issues – Michigan
- ACLU Files ‘Right to Read’ Lawsuit in Michigan (WSJ Blogs – 7/17/12)
In what could be a groundbreaking action with national implications, the American Civil Liberties Union has filed a “right to read” lawsuit in Michigan, charging that the state and its agencies that oversee public education have failed to ensure that students are reading at grade level as required by state law.
Patti's Comment: This will be a very interesting case to follow and it may have far reaching implications for students with disabilities as well.
- Early On Oakland Community Resource Guide – 2010
A guide to finding the right resources to match a child's and family's needs (Oakland Schools)
- High Lead Levels Hurt Learning for DPS Kids (Freep.com – 5/26/10)
More than half of the students tested in Detroit Public Schools have a history of lead poisoning, which affects brain function for life, according to data compiled by city health and education officials.
- Key Policy Letters Signed by the Education Secretary or Deputy Secretary (ED.gov)
This Letter is the result of a decision (January 7, 2008) by the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit in School District of the City of Pontiac, et al. v. Secretary of the United States Department of Education (No. 05-2708). This case is about a Michigan district and it is supposed to provide guidance to states and school districts while this matter works its way through legal proceedings.
- Michigan Directory of Service Providers for Infants, Toddlers, and Students with Disabilities
Intended for parents, educators, and other service providers seeking resource information related to the educational needs of children, students, and clients.
- Model Anti-Bullying Policy
A format from the Michigan State Board of Education with definitions, examples and consequences
- National Disability Rights Network Releases Disturbing Report on Seclusion and Restraint in U.S. Schools (Michigan Protection & Advocacy Service)
The report shows an unsettling use of seclusion and restraint tactics, which resulted in physical and emotional injuries as well as deaths, in schools affecting students in grades K-12.
- Politics and Public Education: Thoughts and Commentary (Marie Lipsitt blog)
From a parent advocate, education activist and founder and co-chair of the Michigan Alliance for Special Education.
- Procedural Safeguards Notice (Michigan Department of Education)
For filing a complaint and how the complaint process is conducted. Also contains information on the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), the Federal law concerning the education of students with Disabilities.
- Resolving Special Education Disputes – 2010 (Michigan Department of Education)
Describes the Michigan Dept. of Education dispute resolution options, including informal and formal resolution.
- Wayne County Guidelines and Publications (Regional Educational Service Agency (RESA)
A list of documents with info on various issues re: special education.
Organizations About Education Issues – Michigan
- Beyond Basics
A non-profit corporation offering reading, writing and expanding horizons enrichment programs to students attending public schools in Metropolitan Detroit. Our program is firmly based on the understanding that children, exposed to educational curricula beyond the basic school system offerings, will obtain higher scores on exams and have a greater chance of achieving excellence beyond their public school careers.
Patti's Comment: I love this charity – if you care about literacy, consider supporting this great organization!
- Birmingham Education Foundation
Founded to raise private funds that will benefit students in Birmingham Public Schools and continue the tradition of academic excellence in our district.
- Citizens Alliance to Uphold Special Education (CAUSE)
A statewide non-profit coalition providing free information, referral, support, advocacy, and workshops to parents and professionals working with children with disabilities and special needs.
- Learning Disabilities Assn. of Michigan
Mission is to enhance the quality of life for all individuals with learning disabilities and their families through advocacy, education, training, service and support of research.
- Michigan Department of Education
- Michigan Education Law Center
Created as a “one-stop” resource to provide easy to find information regarding the law applicable in a school setting.
- Michigan PTSA
Mobilizing the forces of school, home and community in order to ensure a quality edicaiton and nurturing environment for every child.
- Michigan Special Education Mediation Program
Helps parents, educators, and service providers develop productive relationships for resolving issues in early intervention and special education.
- Student Advocacy Center of Michigan
The SAC was established in 1975 to focus on the educational experience of students; to identify successful practices and policies as well as the barriers to effective service.