Fraud (Medicaid) « Medicaid
Resources, Articles & Publications
About Medicaid Fraud
- US Department of Health & Human Services – Report Fraud
Articles About Medicaid Fraud
- Corporate Whistleblower Center Says Medicare/Medicaid Fraud Out of Control (PR Web – 1/11/08)
Americas Watchdog's Corporate Whistleblower Center is releasing its annual report on Medicare & Medicaid fraud, and according to the group things have never been worse. The report focuses on nursing homes, drug/medical device companies, not for profit, and boutique hospitals. The group referred to its findings as grim with respect to Medicare and Medicaid over billing & fraud.
- Cuomo vs. Medicaid Fraud (New York Post – 11/29/07)
Some 18 home-health-care workers and a patient were arrested on charges of defrauding the state through improper billing and no-show jobs.
- Dentists Charged $150K in False Medicaid Claims (Crain's New York Business.com – 1/22/08)
Five New York City dentists overcharged the city’s Medicaid program by thousands and potentially millions of dollars for dental fillings, according to an audit released Tuesday by state Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli.
- Guy Bell Sentenced for Role in Felony Medicaid Fraud Scheme (InsuranceNewsNet.com)
Company received more than $4 million for services never rendered.
- Healthcare Fraud 101: How to Report Medicare or Medicaid Fraud (Examiner.com – 8/21/09)
This article takes a brief look at some of the state and federal agencies that deal with such civil or criminal violations.
- Medicaid Fraud (Lawyers & Settlements.com – Dec. 10, 2007)
The State and Federal Governments brought charges against Harris Methodist Hospital in Bedford, alleging that the hospital submitted improper Medicaid and Medicare claims.
- Medicaid Fraud Suspects Busted (Bradenton Herald – Oct. 26, 2007)
More than two dozen people were being sought by law enforcement officials today in Onondaga County's latest crackdown of fraud by Medicaid recipients.
- Medicaid Fraud Victimizes Public, State, Experts Say (Capital News Service – March 21, 2008)
A Medicaid recipient dies of lung cancer after being given a clean bill of health from unqualified doctors.
- Miami-Dade Pediatrician Arrested for Defrauding Medicaid (Florida Attorney General – 12/13/07)
Attorney General Bill McCollum today announced the arrest of a Miami-Dade physician for defrauding Florida’s Medicaid program out of more than $65,000.
- Pfizer Fined $2.3 Billion to Settle Medicare and Medicaid Fraud Case (Examinar.com – 9/2/09)
The largest fine ever levied for fraud in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Charges of fraud in marketing are becoming common against pharmaceutical companies. Almost every major drug manufacturer has been accused by the Justice Department of giving kick backs to doctors or changing Medicaid improper rates.
- Pharmaceutical Companies Pay $6.75M to Settle State Medicaid Fraud Case (Birmingham Business Journal – 1/9/08)
Two pharmaceutical companies will pay the state of Alabama to settle cases of fraudulently inflation of prescription drug prices to the state's Medicaid Agency.
- Probe Finds 30,000 Medicaid Providers Cheating on Taxes (USA Today – Nov. 2007)
…but the government can't trim health care payments in order to collect.
- Tens Of Thousands Of Drug Addicts Make Living Defrauding Medicaid
Wonder why health care costs are out of control? One reason is the government — meaning you, the taxpayer — is footing the bill for abusive pill popping. The Government Accountability Office looked at five states — California, Illinois, New York, North Carolina, and Texas — and found some pretty scary Medicaid abuse.
Patti's Comment: This makes me sick! Just think how many folks with developmental disabilities could have been served with that money!!!
Publications About Medicaid Fraud
- Tennessee Home and Community-Based Mental Retardation Services – (DHHS Report) – 10/25/07
HCBS claims not properly documented by Medicaid agency
- Thousands of Medicaid Providers Abuse the Federal Tax System – (Government Accountability Office)
Report to the Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, U.S. Senate