Jobs – Articles & Publications « Disabilities – Jobs
Articles About Jobs for People with Disabilities
"Americans believe that people should work hard and get ahead on their own, but when disaster strikes and they need help with retirement or disability, Americans as a whole should come to their aid." ≈ Jacob Hacker
- A Few Words with White House Special Assistant Kareem Dale (Detroit News – 11/6/09)
Kareem Dale is the Special Assistant to President Obama for Disability Policy. He recently spent a few minutes with The Detroit News Disabilities Blog discussing employment issues, how health care reform will impact the disability community, and the Administration's priorities for 2010.
- Despite a Challenging Job Market, Enable America Expanded its Outreach in 2010 (Northwest Disability Connections – 2/3/11)
Enable America is ending 2010 with more accomplishments than ever before in its history as an organization devoted to improving employment opportunities for people with disabilities. “As the nation’s unemployment rate remains high, we’ve seen even greater need to assist people with disabilities, including veterans and wounded warriors. Fortunately this year, we’ve been able to respond with our most widespread series of programs and services ever. Enable America is in the right place, at the right time, to help those who truly deserve a hand up.”
- Disability-Rights Advocates Worry Politics Delays Workplace Rule (Bloomberg Business Week – 4/25/12)
Advocates for employees with disabilities said new guidelines on discrimination in the workplace from the U.S. Equal Employment Commission are being delayed by political opposition from business.
- Federal Jobs Still Available; Diversity Sought (Washington Post – 2/3/11)
With all the talk of hiring and pay freezes at federal agencies and consolidation of various functions of multiple agencies, it seems there won't be many federal jobs left. But future job seekers should not worry. The demise of the federal government has been greatly exaggerated.
- Role of Disabilities Ignored for Tens of Millions Experiencing Income Poverty
Nearly half of all working age adults experiencing poverty have a disability.
- The Disabled Job Seeker’s Guide to Becoming a Real Estate Agent (2/25/16)
If you are a disabled job seeker exploring opportunities for employment, diving into the real estate market as a realtor might be a good option for you.
- The Issue of Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities (National Federation of the Blind – 8/31/12)
There are many examples of individuals with significant disabilities who, when provided the proper training and support, have acquired a competitive job skill to earn at least minimum wage.
- Who's Disabled? Feds Expand The Definition (Wall Street Journal – 3/25/11)
Labor and employment lawyers are busy Friday reading, parsing, fretting, lecturing and a few other present participles after the EEOC yesterday issued new regulations governing when employees qualify as disabled. The immediate question that springs to mind is who are the winners under the new regs: employees or employers? It’s not so easy to say.