Nursing Homes – Resources « Elder Care
Organizations, Services and Resources
About Nursing Homes
Organizations and Services re: Nursing Homes
- Caregiver List.com
Review quality measures for nursing homes nationwide. Find ou the nursing home costs and Caregiver Star-ratings.
- Medicare: Updated, Enhanced Tools to Compare Hospitals and Nursing Homes (CMS.gov – 7/19/12)
Website to help Americans make informed choices about hospitals has been redesigned and will make more information available to the public: Nursing Homes
- National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care (formerly Citizens' Coalition for Nursing Home Reform)
Organizied to represent the consumer voice at the national level because of public concern about substandard care in nursing homes.
- Nursing Home Inspect – Find Nursing Home Problems in Your State (Pro Publica)
Use this tool to search more than 20,000 nursing home inspection reports, most completed since January 2011, and encompassing nearly 118,000 deficiencies. Also see Tips on How to Use the Tool and Overview of Nursing Home Inspect Tool.
- Reports on Long-Term Care (Long Term Care FocUS.org)
An interactive database incorporating information from a number of government sources. It allows the user to create a chart comparing all nursing homes in a state with a broad range of variables from which to choose.
Resources: Websites & Blogs re: Nursing Homes
- Alternatives to Nursing Home Care (Medicare.gov)
Before you make any decisions about long term care, get as much information as you can about where you might live and what help you may need. A nursing home may not be your only choice.
- CMS Campaign on Ending Misuse of Antipsychotic Drugs (The National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care)
Program and handouts on 3/29/12 live webcast on launch of national initiative to end misuse of antipsychotic drugs in nursing homes. Material on CMS website, or you can watch the program on YouTube.
Resource for nursing homes, assisted living, home care, hospice and geriatric care managers.
- How to Choose a Good Nursing Home (Elder Law Corner blog)
How do you go about finding a good nursing home, one which will properly care for the emotional as well as physical and medical needs of your family member?
- NAELA Newsletter – subscriber question: "Nursing home resident with dementia and a well-documented history of falls, fell against bed frame breaking several ribs. Medical director examined resident but did not send him to ER. Resident died 16 hours later from his injuries at nursing home. The history of falls was well documented. A "Fall Risk Assessment" was done every few months. The Assessment sheet states that if the resident scores 10 or more points, "prevention protocol should be initiated immediately and documented in the care plan." The resident scored consistently between 10 and 16 on the four Assessments before his death, yet none of the Care Plans contain any mention of fall prevention protocols. Are there written standards for these protocols and, if so, where might these be found?" See Fall Prevention: Definitions and Measurements.
- Nursing Homes Abuse Blog (Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers)
This is the blog of Jonathan Rosenfeld, a lawyer who represents people injured in nursing homes and long-term care facilities.
- Nursing Home Compare (Medicare.gov)
This tool has detailed information about every Medicare and Medicaid-certified nursing home in the country. Before you get started, you or your family member may have other long-term care choices like community-based services, home care, or assisted living depending on your needs and resources.
- Senior Decision.com
A free website offering consumer reviews and ratings for nursing homes, retirement homes, assisted living facilities and home health agencies. Seniors and caregivers with first-hand experiences they want to share are invited to submit reviews to the site.