Elder Abuse/Neglect « Elder Care
Articles, Publications, Organizations and Resources
Regarding Elder Abuse/Neglect
Articles About Elder Abuse & Neglect
- A Hidden Crime (WashingtonPost.com – Jan. 27, 2008)
As though declining health, impending mortality and other challenges weren't hard enough, too often old age is also plagued by abuse, neglect and exploitation.
- Dealing With the Growing Dilemma of Elder Abuse (Daily Tribune – 5/17/09)
Elder abuse has many faces – meet some people affected by this problem.
- Elder Abuse – What is It? (Time Goes By – 7/3/12)
You think you know the answer to that, right? Well, not so fast. I did too until I started looking into elder abuse for us. There are a zillion definitions, several kinds of abuse, no useful statistics and differing laws in every U.S. state.
- Frail Elderly Vulnerable to Abuse (Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (1/4/09)
Even when a patient is in a care facility such as a nursing home or hospital, they still need a support network of family and friends, experts said.
- Justice for All: Ending Elder Abuse, Neglect and Financial Exploitation
United States Senate Special Committee on Aging hearing – March 2, 2011 (includes link to video)
The committee hearing focused on elder abuse, neglect and financial exploitation. Among the witnesses providing testimony was Mickey Rooney, actor, elder abuse victim and advocate.
- Prevent Elder Abuse by Staying in Touch (SignOn San Diego – 11/2/10)
Some studies are showing that most people who commit elder abuse have themselves been abused as children. The perpetuity of abuse does not lessen the horrendous impact this crime visits on the victim’s state of mind, physical well-being, and dignity. Older adults who are abused and neglected are three times more likely to die earlier than those who are not abused. Although statistics hide the personal degradation of abuse, it is important to understand the context so that we can lessen its cancerous growth in our community.
- Stronger Protections Needed to Fight Elder Abuse (Oakland Press – 3/5/09)
There is no crime more heinous than one committed against a vulnerable, defenseless human being.
- The Extent of Abuse by Guardians Is Unknown, but Some Measures Exist to Help Protect Older Adults (11/16/16)
GAO was asked to review whether abusive practices by guardians are widespread. This report describes what is known about the extent of elder abuse by guardians; and what measures federal agencies and selected state and local guardianship programs have taken to help protect older adults with guardians.
- The Shame of Elder Abuse and the Silence of Washington (Huffington Post – 12/29/11)
As we close the holiday season, we are reminded that one sad reality, elder abuse, takes no holiday. In fact, recent studies show that abuse of older adults, especially financial abuse, increases dramatically during the holiday season. Today, more than one in ten older adults will be victims of some form of elder abuse, with a collective loss of almost $3 billion a year. Just before adjourning for the holiday, Congress passed a massive spending bill for the rest of this fiscal year. For the second year in a row, Congress failed to provide funding for the only comprehensive federal elder abuse prevention law — the Elder Justice Act. This is both shameful and shortsighted.
Publications About Elder Abuse & Neglect
- A Systematic Review of Interventions for Elder Abuse (InformaWorld – 2010)
The purpose of this study was to use rigorous systematic review methods to summarize the effectiveness of interventions for elder abuse.
- Adult Protective Services, Institutional Abuse and Long Term Care Ombudsman Program Laws: Citations by State (ABA)
Information about laws related to elder abuse and analysis of adult protective services laws.
- Analysis of State Adult Protective Services Laws (National Center on Elder Abuse)
Three sets of charts on adult protective services (APS) laws are available. These charts were prepared for the National Center on Elder Abuse by the ABA Commission on Law and Aging.
- Bruising as a Marker of Physical Elder Abuse (UC Irvine Center of Excellence on Elder Abuse & Neglect)
DOJ-funded studies on bruising in older adults.
- Elder Abuse: A Women's Issue
Domestic and institutional elder abuse, neglect and exploitation cause serious harm to anywhere from 500,000 to 5 million individuals every year. Woman make up approximately 66% of elder abuse victims in the United States.
- Information About Laws Related to Elder Abuse (ABA Commission)
- Elder Abuse Awareness (Oakland County SAVE Task Force)
As our population ages, the issue of elder abuse and neglect continues to grow. It can affect people of all ethnic backgrounds and social status, and can occur in facilities as well as private homes. The safety and protection of vulnerable adults is critical.
Background info about federal and state statutes related to elder abuse.
- Neglect of Older Persons: Legal Issues Related to Caregiver Duty and Liability (National Center on Elder Abuse)
An introduction to legal issues related to liability for neglect of older persons.
- Understanding Elder Abuse (The Senior Alliance)
Elder abuse pertains to ANY adult suffering abuse. However, new laws were enacted in Michigan to specifically prevent abuse by caregivers to an older or disabled individual. The Vulnerable Adult Abuse Act (MCL 750.145) criminalizes abusive behavior and attempts to prevent the physical and emotional abuse of vulnerable adults by their caregiver(s) or other person(s) with authority over the vulnerable adult.
- Violence Against Vulnerable Adults (Disabilities Project Newsletter)
Response to violence against people with disabilities and elders is still a particularly under-recognized and under-reported social problem and crime.
Organizations and Services About Elder Abuse & Neglect
- Center for Elders and the Courts
Provides the nation's courts with resources, information, and training related to aging, probate issues, and elder abuse.
- Center of Excellence on Elder Abuse & Neglect (U of CA, Irvine, School of Medicine)
Links to resources for information about elder abuse, law and aging.
- Clearinghouse on Abuse and Neglect of the Elderly (University of Delaware – 2010)
The nation's largest computerized catalog of elder abuse literature. With over 6,000 entries, you can search CANE's database to obtain references pertaining to many aspects of elder abuse and neglect, and the conditions that impact elder mistreatment.
- Elder Abuse Foundation
This site is intended to educate people on the topic of nursing home abuse that has become one of the greatest law enforcement challenges of our time.
- Illinois Department of Aging
The Elder Abuse and Neglect Program, under the authority of the Elder Abuse and Neglect Act (320 ILCS 20/1 et seq.), responds to reports of alleged abuse, neglect or financial exploitation of persons 60 years of age and older. The program provides investigation, intervention and follow-up services to victims. Reports increase each year, as the older population grows and awareness of elder abuse increases.
- National Center on Elder Abuse
Directed by the U.S. Administration on Aging, it's commitment is to help national, state, and local partners in the field be fully prepared to ensure that older Americans will live with dignity, integrity, independence, and without abuse, neglect, and exploitation.
- National Clearinghouse on Abuse in Later Life
NCALL has been the nationally recognized leader on program development, policy and technical assistance and training that addresses the nexus between domestic violence, sexual assault and elder abuse/neglect. The Senior Alliance National Resource Directory provides contact information for programs and resources developed for survivors of abuse in later life.
- National Committee for the Prevention of Elder Abuse
An association of researchers, practitioners, educators, and advocates dedicated to protecting the safety, security, and dignity of America's most vulnerable citizens.
- Nursing Response to Elder Mistreatment Curriculum (Int'l Assn. of Forensic Nurses)
The goal of this course is to help nurses acquire essential knowledge and skills to appropriately respond to elder mistreatment. This course prepares nurses to integrate nursing and forensic sciences into the care of vulnerable older adults who have been mistreated or are at high risk for mistreatment by trusted others.
- Michigan Dept. of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs—AFC/HFA Complaints
The Bureau of Community and Health Systems receive and process complaints for: Adult folster care and home for the aged, children's and adult foster care camps, and child care home/centers.
- Michigan Dept. of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs – Nursing Home Complaints
To file a complaint against a state licensed or federal certified health facility, including nursing home, hospitals, home health agencies, hospices, surgery centers, dialysis centers, and other providers, see information below.
- Senior Services
Responsible for facilitating and coordinating law-enforcement services provided to the senior-citizen community; developing and implementing training for district senior-services officers; and educating other members of the Department of services available to facilitate police assistance to the senior-citizen population and their families
- The Elder Justice Coalition
A national advocacy voice supporting elder justice in America and seeking to increase public awareness of the tragedy of elder abuse, neglect and exploitation at the local, state, and national levels.
Resources: Websites & Blogs About Elder Abuse & Neglect
- A New Campaign to Address America's Silent Crisis: Elder Abuse (The Hub – 6/15/09)
Every year, an estimated five million older Americans are beaten, ignored or financially exploited, causing illness, suffering and premature death. Yet, elder abuse is not perceived as a national tragedy and collectively there is much silence around the issue.
- Elder Abuse (HelpGuide.org)
Types, signs, symptoms, risk factors and prevention.
- Elder Justice Act (ABA)
The ABA Commission on Law & Aging has added a new set of statutory analysis charts on its elder abuse web page, including "Penalties for Failing to Report Elder Abuse" and Penalties for Making a False Report of Abuse." Charts, information and links to many subjects related to elder abuse.
- Fight Against Elder Abuse
The national aging network works tirelessly to ensure that older Americans remain independent, healthy, and safe in their homes and communities for as long as possible.
- Honoring the Global Effort to End Elder Abuse (White House Blog – 6/15/10)
Today, we recommit ourselves to fighting elder abuse. To commemorate the 5th Annual World Elder Abuse Awareness Day, agencies and organizations across the country are encouraging individuals to recognize this underreported issue and raise awareness about the mistreatment of seniors.
- Related PEKD Advocacy page: Fraud and Financial Exploitation of Elderly