Publications (General Education) « Education – General
Publications About General Education Issues
- A Judicial Checklist to Ensure that the Educational Needs of Children and Youth in Foster Care are Being Addressed (Permanency Planning for Children)
Asking the right questions is the first step.
- A Synthesis of Research on Reading (Nat'l Institute of Child Health and Human Development)
The NICHD began to focus more on reading difficulties as it became clear how extensive the reading problem was in the general population.
- Everyday Mathematics (Teaching Tips.com)
A core curriculum for students in kindergarten through grade 6.
- Independent Education Evaluation (IEE) Issues: Letters to organizations, attorney and parent:
California Department of Education
Wisconsin Dept. of Public Instruction
Letter to Attorney
Letter to Attorney 2
Redacted Letter to Parent
Volunteer Educational Advocate
- Is School Funding Fair? A National Report Card (Education Law Center)
A New National Report Highlights the Unfair Distribution of School Aid in Many States:
The 50 states are rated on the basis of four separate, but interrelated, “fairness indicators” – funding level, funding distribution, state fiscal effort, and public school coverage. Using a more thorough statistical analysis, the report provides the most in-depth analysis to date of state education finance systems and school funding fairness across the nation. The results show that many states do not fairly allocate education funding to address the needs of their most disadvantaged students, and the schools serving high numbers of those students.
- Joint Guidance on the Application of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) To Student Health Records
(U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services and U.S. Dept. of Education – Nov. 2008)
Purpose of this guidance is to explain the relationship between the two Acts, and to address apparent confusion on the part of school administrators, health care professionals, and others as to how these two laws apply to records maintained on students. It also addresses certain disclosures that are allowed without consent or authorization under both laws, especially those related to health and safety emergency situations.
- Resource Guide to Higher Education Campus Support for Alumni of Foster Care (Detroit College Promise)
This guide is for by anyone who is interested in learning more about programming and scholarship support resources on Michigan’s higher education campuses.
- School Selection for Students in Out-of-Home Care (Legal Center for Foster Care)
This brief provides a framework for local homeless education liaisons, educators, child welfare caseworkers, and other child welfare advocates for assessing best interest when selecting a school for students in out-of-home care. While the brief focuses on students "awaiting foster care placement" under the McKinney-Vento Act, it provides information relevant to school selection and school stability for all children and youth in out-of-home care.
- The Condition of Education 2010 (National Center for Education Statistics)
Summarizes important developments and trends in education using the latest available data. The report presents 49 indicators on the status and condition of education, in addition to a special section on high-poverty schools.
- The McKinney-Vento Act At a Glance
This summary provides a brief overview of the key provisions of Subtitle VII-B of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, reauthorized by the No Child Left Behind Act.