Resources (Children – Disabilities) « Children – Disabilities
Resources: Websites & Blogs
About Children with Special Needs
“A true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths; feels your fears but fortifies your faith; sees your anxieties but frees your spirit; recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities.” ≈ William Arthur Ward
- 5 Minutes for Special Needs (blog)
Support, Insight, Inspiration
- Bloom (Parenting Kids with Disabilities)
Determined to change what she believes is systemic discrimination against treating children with certain genetic conditions, Barb shares her daughter Annie’s story at health-care conferences and ethics talks, with medical and law students, in medical journals and through her work with Patients for Patient Safety Canada.
- Children with Disabilities (ForThePeople.com)
An extensive information database about disabilities, including ADD and ADHD.
- Children's Books About Kids with Disabilities (Easy Stand Blog)
There are a lot of great books available that can educate kids about others like them who have a disability.
- Dance of Partnership
Janice Fialka is a national trainer and advocate on issues related to disability.
- Exceptional Parent Magazine
The family and professional site for the special needs community.
- Family Center on Technology and Disability
A resource designed to support organizations and programs that work with families of children and youth with disabilities. Also, check out their informative monthly newsletters.
- Family Voices Indiana (blog)
Family Voices of Indiana shares advocacy opportunities and updated information on issues that impact Indiana families of children with disabilities or special needs.
- How a group of moms created opportunities for their special kids (Chicago Parent – 9/16/15)
- Life With My Special Ks (blog)
Join us as we face issues with Down syndrome, Leukemia, Deployments, and every day life with 4 young kids! You'll be in for the ride of your life!
- Mom on a Mission (Michele Westmaas blog)
Thoughts and insights from a mom, wife, and disability advocate.
- Play Activities for Children with Disabilities (Your Therapy Source – 2/4/11)
The Alliance for Technology Access has a wonderful, free publication that you can download entitled "We Can Play". This is a 20 page document loaded with fun, adaptable ideas for children with disabilities.
- Prenatal Partners for Life
Support information & encouragement for carrying to term with an adverse prenatal diagnosis and support for raising your child with special needs after birth.
- Sensory Processing Disorder Resource Center
A thorough explanation and a name for the behaviors and developmental concerns that exist – which seemed almost impossible to understand or cope with.
- Siblings With Disabilities
How parents explain to their children the challenges a disabled sibling faces varies greatly but is most complex when a child's condition goes beyond a relatively obvious physical impairment.
- Special MI Moms
A blog for moms of special needs children in Michigan. Kim is the mother of a very special severely multiply impaired teenage son, Ryan – the joy of her life! She started this blog to network and share resources with other mothers of special needs children in Michigan and around the country.
- Special Needs Children Site (Bella Online)
Valuable articles and info.
- Special Needs Neighborhood.com Blog
Special needs resources, news and more.
- Uniquely Gifted
A collection of resources for families with gifted/special needs children and professionals who work with them.