Skip to:

Government Resources (Children – Disabilities) « Children – Disabilities



Government Resources related to
Children with Special Needs and Disabilities


  • Applying for Disability Benefits – Child Under Age 18 (SSA)
    You will need to complete an Application for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) AND a Child Disability Report. The report collects information about the child’s disabling condition and how it affects his/her ability to function.
  • Benefits for Children with Disabilities (SSA)
    This booklet is for the parents, caregivers or representatives of children younger than age 18 who have disabilities that might make them eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments.
  • Child Disability Starter Kit (for children under age 18) (SSA)
    What you should know before you apply for SSI disability benefits for your child, a checklist and a worksheet to prepare for the disability interview.
  • Disability Planner: Benefits for a Disabled Child (SSA)
    A child under age 18 may be disabled, but we don't need to consider the child's disability when deciding if he or she qualifies for benefits as your dependent. The child's benefits normally stop at age 18 unless he or she is a full-time student in an elementary or high school (benefits can continue until age 19) or is disabled.
  • Disability Planner: Family Benefits (SSA)
    When you start receiving disability benefits, certain members of your family also may qualify for benefits on your record. Benefits may be paid to members of your family, including children who are disabled.
  • Medicaid and CHIP (
    These programs provide health coverage to more than 43 million children, including half of all low-income children in the United States. Certain children with disabilities qualify for benefits.
  • Michigan Special Education Mediation Program (Oakland County Moms – 6/6/2015)
    Oakland Mediation Center in Bloomfield Hills MI offers the Michigan Special Education Mediation Program (MESMP) services to help parents of special needs children in Oakland County and Metro Detroit, Michigan.
  • Understanding Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for Children (Social Security Online)
    Who is eligible and what are requirements.

All PEKD Advocacy pages related to Children with Special Needs and Disabilities: