Health Care (Aging) « Aging Issues
Articles, Organizations and Resources
re: Health Care for People Who are Elderly
Articles & Publications re: Health Care for Elderly
- 5 Tips for Taking an Elderly Patient to the Emergency Room (Hospital.com)
Those who are taking care of an elderly parent or loved one can benefit greatly from planning ahead for a possible visit to a hospital emergency.
- Aging Parents: 5 Warning Signs of Health Problems (Mayo Clinic)
Use this guide to help you gauge how your parents are doing. Find out what to do if you notice anything that might indicate a health problem.
- Creating Sustainable Health and Care Systems in Ageing Societies (The Global Health Policy Summit)
This report developes an Ageing and Health Sustainability Framework of key actions and innovations that will help countries assess and enhance the robustness of their health systems.
- Improving the Health Care of Older Americans (US Dept. of Health & Human Services)
In this report, the Task Force on Aging provides a rationale for the Agency for Healthcare Research and quality (AHRQ) to develop, implement, and disseminate an agenda on health services research related to aging. The report recommends that AHRQ expand and sharpen its focus on aging issues in several specific areas.
- Making Your Printed Health Materials Senior Friendly (National Institute on Aging)
Health information can be particularly difficult to understand and act upon, even for the most capable person. There are some special considerations when developing written materials for older people.
Organizations re: Health Care for Elderly
- American Geriatrics Society (AGS) Foundation for Health In Aging
A national non-profit organization whose aim is to build a bridge between the research and practice of geriatrics and the public, and to advocate on behalf of older adults and their special health care needs.
- Health and Aging Organizations Online Directory (National Institute on Aging)
This online, searchable database lists more than 300 national organizations that provide help to older people.
- Health Information (National Institute on Aging)
Links to publications, clinical trials and related sites of interest to the aging community with information on health issues.
- National Institute on Aging
NIA, one of the 27 Institutes and Centers of National Institutes on Health (NIH), leads a broad scientific effort to understand the nature of aging and to extend the healthy, active years of life.
- National Institutes on Health Senior Health
This easy-to-use website features basic health and wellness information for older adults from the National Institutes of Health.
- Partners Against Pain
A resource for patients and caregivers. For understandable reasons, pain is a major concern that needs to be addressed in the elderly population. Principles to help you provide the best possible care for the elderly who are in pain include believing them when they insist that they are in pain and reassuring them that they have the right to pain control. More information on assessing pain in loved ones with dementia.
Resources re: Health Care for Elderly
- Effective Older People Care.org
A continually updated source of current best evidence from Cochrane systematic reviews which relate to the health care of older people. It focuses on common health problems in old age and different models of service organisation for older people.
- Health Services Research on Aging (US Dept. of Health & Human Services)
With the aging of America comes a greater need for information on how people can live healthier lives. Biomedical and clinical research has made great progress in identifying ways to prevent and treat common conditions associated with aging, thereby improving the health of those who suffer with age-associated chronic illness.